A new version of Tell it to the Birds was commissioned and created for Hayward Gallery's sculpture terrace, overlooking London's Waterloo Bridge, as part of Dear Earth: Art & Hope in a Time of Crisis which runs at the Southbank Centre from June 21st–Sept 3rd, 2023.
The work invites visitors to the museum to tell a secret, which is live transliterated into the song of a threatened bird. The birds heard in this version of the project include many once common UK songbirds which visitors may be surprised to see face threats to their survival, as well as globally endangered birds selected in collaboration with ZSL conservation scientists.
• Red Knot, Calidris canutus - UK Birds of Concern Amber List
• Common Nightingale, Luscinia megarhynchos - UK Birds of Concern Red List
• Mistle Thrush, Turdus viscivorus - UK Birds of Concern Red List
• Skylark, Alauda arvensis - UK Birds of Concern Red List
• Northern Wheatear, Oenanthe oenanthe - UK Birds of Concern Amber List
• Common Linnet, Linaria cannabina - UK Birds of Concern Red List
• Marsh Warbler, Acrocephalus palustris - UK Birds of Concern Red List
• Grey Parrot, Psittacus erithacus, ZSL conserved species
• White Rumped-Shama, Copsychus malabaricus - ZSL conserved species
(Birds Watching III can be seen in the background.)